Karen - Spillin her Dreams-karenforester.blogspot

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

January is gone and we are another month closer to Spring.
Not close enough I'm afraid. But CLOSER is good enough for today.
Actually, I am not one that sits around wishing my life away. It is going too fast for me as it is, so I think I should try hard and find the good in EVERY day.
That is not to say, I would not enjoy WARM TROPICAL BREEZES AND GOLDEN SUNSHINE! Oh, my, but that sounds heavenly at the moment.
But,Feburary is here and so far has not dissapointed "OLD MAN WINTER!"
Our northern Ohio home is buried along with millions of others across the country with what appears to be "The Storm of 2011".
The past two days we have been BLESSED with snow, ice, wind and snow again.
Today it has been only snow and more snow.
I must say, although, MOST are not "happy campers" right now. it is very BEAUTIFUL.
Yes, my friend, that is what I said. BEAUTIFUL. A virtual WINTER WONDERLAND.
Our home is directly across the street from Riverside cementary. Which has been part of this community for well over 100 years. It is in many ways a park setting, well groomed with large maples, oaks, sweetgum, and evergreens of numerous kinds. Each season brings it's own kind of beauty.
In fall our local Junior High school children have collected leaves from this very spot, for, what has become a local tradition.
I watch each September and October as cars and bicycles slowly circle the grounds. Stopping every few minutes to reach for (some standing on Dad's vehicle, some jumping or using sticks) "the very best or biggest" leaves to be glued into albums that are due back at school in mid-November. Somewhere in this house, I'm sure, there are still two red or green, or perhaps blue folders, from my 40 something year old children's, jr. high years.
Spring brings new grass and soft green moss that grows on the sides of the old buildings or cementary markers. There are tiny white and blue flowers everywhere and mayapple and dutchmans britches that grow along the wooded edge. Sometimes the tiny flowers completely cover the ground.
Directly behind the cementary runs the Auglaize River that the cementary is named for.
As you now probably have figured out, "I LOVE MY VIEW ON THE WORLD!"
I decided many years ago that it is so much better than looking at more houses.
Some seem to think living across from where the "dead" rest is a negative. I don't agree. Although we have now lived here for almost 40 years and we now have friends and even family members buried there, I choose to draw comfort that there is a beautiful garden setting where loved ones can walk amoung the tree's and flowers and remember those that are no longer with us.
When I go further in my thoughts and think about how much MORE BEAUTIFUL GOD'S HEAVEN will be, I have no reason to feel sad or downcast.
Most years I make the effort to take at least one extended walk to breath in the fresh cold air and just to enjoy the quiet peaceful feeling I get from being surronded by nothing but snow and more snow.
I think today is a good day for a walk. Would you like to go along?

2 comments:

  1. I've only seen the cemetery twice but I love it. It is a beautiful spot and you're blessed to live right across from it. You can find solitude whenever you need it just by crossing the street. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Momma loved it too. One year she was so determined to dig up a start of a wildflower that she didn't recognize (she had a stick in one hand and was holding onto a small tree with the other)that I was sure she would roll down the hill! That was our Momma!---- Sweet memories! By the way, she did get her start, took it to Missouri and planted it and it bloomed the following spring! :)

    ReplyDelete